My guest today is Daniel Goleman. A master of the mind who has practiced, taught and written about meditation and much more for over 40 years.
His 1995 book, Emotional Intelligence was on The New York Times bestseller list for a year-and-a-half, with more than 5,000,000 copies in print worldwide in 40 languages, and has been a best seller in many countries.
His latest masterpiece –’Altered Traits: Science Reveals How Meditation Changes Your Mind, Brain, and Body’ –is essential reading for anyone interested in meditation.
In addition to traveling throughout Asia, Dan has had the opportunity to spend a lot of time with the Dalai Lama and even co-authored a book with him
Dan was a visiting lecturer to Harvard during the 1970s and is an internationally renowned psychologist and a science journalist who reported on the brain and behavioral sciences for The New York Times for many years.
His work as a science journalist has been recognized with many awards, and he was made a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in recognition of his communicating science to the general public.
Dan is a very wise and interesting individual and I really enjoyed my conversation with him and I am sure you will too. In our discussion we cover:
- What was it like to meet and spend time with the Dalia Lama
- Altered States vs Altered Traits: Can meditation facilitate both?
- Is religion/spirituality an essential ingredient of mediation?
- The distinction between mindfulness and meditation.
- The potential benefits of meditation for individuals and society.
- Are certain types of meditation more effective than others?
- Is there a ‘minimum effective dose’?
- The optimum amount of time to meditate.
- The role of digital / technology in meditation.
Subscribe on ITUNES, STICHER RADIO